Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Honeymoon

The plane tickets are purchased. The cruise tickets are purchased. The only question: is the Mediterranean ready for us? Probably. We're pretty tame.

That's right! We're finally going on our long overdue honeymoon (that's what happens when you get married on a Saturday in the middle of a semester, and have to be back to school on Monday). And we're doing it properly. A 6-day Mediterranean cruise! We were thinking of doing it in the Caribbean, but... no offense Caribbean, but after talking about it, we realized that neither of us actually like the beach that much. Sure, it's great for a day trip, but a week of sunburns, sticky salt water, and sand in my swimsuit is not something I want to spend 3 grand on. I mean, I do like the beach, but we wanted something different. Something we might not have a chance to do for many years.

And that's why we will be boarding a plane to Barcelona, Spain on May 13th. The relocation cruise leaves port on the 15th, and stops in Toulon, France, then in Florence/Pisa, on to Rome, then Sicily, and ends in Venice. We'll then board a train in Venice, and travel to Verona (home to Romeo and sweet Juliet). After seeing some sights, we'll catch a flight back to Barcelona, and fly back to our sweet baby Auri waiting for us in Texas, on the 24th.

We are so pumped! I'm already reading about money belts, and how to avoid being pickpocketed, and, in the process, getting increasingly paranoid. We're going to start learning some basic Italian together. Then, on to research museums, or whatever else you see in Europe (as you can tell, I haven't started that part of my research yet). It's still two months away, but I'm already so giddy. Jason and I laid awake in bed last night, trying to go to sleep, but way too excited. I didn't fall asleep until about one.

************************************

In other news, tomorrow we'll be meeting a realtor to view a house we might be interested in renting in August. I don't know much about it except that it has a garage. I so dearly want a garage! I'm tired of having 3 bikes in the house (don't tell Jason). Right now, we have a closet, about a foot deep, and two feet wide, that we call 'the garage'.

          Jason: "Emily, where is that box where I put that stuff?"
          Emily: "Look in the garage, second shelf, behind the ice chest, inflatable pool, and dog food."

We have two bikes and the stroller in the 'dining' room, crammed in next to the high chair, and our dining room table that I don't think we've ever used. I'm really not trying to complain... just convey why I so desire a garage!

Well I hear Jason repeating Italian words over and over in the study, so it sounds like he's started without me!

Before I go, here's a picture for your viewing pleasure:

Tough kid. She doesn't let the tile floor slow her down for too long.

4 comments:

  1. So happy for you - and excited!! Get some sleep tonight!!
    My sweet little Auri - please let me know how I can help you with your trip: planning, taking care, cheering from the sidelines, you know - whatever this mom can do.
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an amazing honeymoon for you two! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old friend of Jason's from HS.... Pick any little cafe in France to eat at. It's effectively impossible to find bad food. Same with Italy. Effectively impossible to find bad food. Just sit down somewhere and it will be amazing. In Venice, see the glass-blowers and the cathedral, both of which I think will blow you away.

    And above all, enjoy - and enjoy the time for both of you, without fretting about Auri.

    ReplyDelete