Thursday, March 10, 2011

A place for stories

Mainly, I needed a place to write down stories that A) I don't want to forget, and B) might want to share. Most will probably be about Auri, and any future additions to the Knight Clan, but occasionally, I might share the dumb things I say and do. Often, I'll have longer and multi-faceted stories that I don't know how to share on Facebook, because they wouldn't fit into a status (or else my friends would start to block me). Also, Jason thinks I need some mental stimulation, after nothing but talking to a baby and a dog and reading ten page board books all day. His idea was for me to write short stories/a novel. Thus, why I started a blog.

A few things that nearly gave me a heart attack today:

Auri learning how to get out the back door by herself. Who knew that a 4 inch change in elevation would be such an obstacle? I guess, when 4 inches makes up a sizable percentage of your total height, and there's a giant slab of concrete that you might bash your face against if you mess up, 4 inches isn't something to sneeze at. And yet, Auri stands on the stoop, not holding onto anything, teetering back and forth, admiring birds flying by and dirt on the ground. It's all I can do to not be a helicopter mom (always hovering, ready to swoop in for the rescue).



She actually did bash her face today. Her mouth to be precise. Was standing in the tub, (presumably on the small slippery space between the rubber no-slip mat, and the side of the tub) splashing in the water she had poured on, and over the side of the tub, and BAM, next second she had slipped and hit her top teeth (those poor teeth!). I have never heard such a heart-wrenching, terrible cry. I was sure she had knocked out her front teeth. But nope, those heroic teeth are still intact.


Lastly, the most terrifying of all. Perhaps I should be more of a helicopter mom. I was in Target today, and Auri was riding up front, all strapped in. I stopped the basket in the middle of the clothes section, and was looking through a rack. I had given Auri my phone to play with (more on that later), and she was having a fine time, talking to herself, and doing all sorts of destruction. When I glanced over my shoulder, my heart stopped as I saw that she had worked her way loose of the lap restraint, and was standing up in the child seat in the front of the basket. Not only was she standing, but she was trying to work out how to put her leg over the edge of the basket and "swing down" to get to the ground and run away. I swooped in for the rescue, planted her bottom firmly on the seat, tightened the belt, and steered the cart quickly away before anyone saw. I certainly learned my lesson today. I thank God that she didn't hurt herself.

In the meantime, she had thrown my phone to the ground, and a chunk of it broke off, never to be seen again.

4 comments:

  1. Its never going to be the BIG bangs. Charlotte's tooth came out with a small fall in the living room. Figures huh?

    Time for a mom/dad height hook eye latch on the back door huh?

    I got one of these 'trying to write it down blogs because it's going to fast and I am never going to remember it all!' : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Emily. Thanks to you both for journaling a day in the life of Auri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, being a helicopter mom! Sometimes you have to be and sometimes you have to know when to let them fall - but hopefully they don't lose any teeth in the process!

    ReplyDelete