Thursday, May 26, 2011

Europe (Part 1)

First of all, it feels great to be back home. I missed my Auri terribly (not to mention my bed, my washing machine, and my fridge full of cheap food. Oh, and my lungs not filled with second-hand smoke).

That being said, we had an amazing time! I'm so glad we finally got around to it, and it was definitely worth every penny (except, maybe, for the many pennies that taxi drivers jipped us out of). If anything, one of the most valuable parts of our vacation was the newfound appreciation we have for our relaxed days at home. I'm still exhausted from the trip!

I think our first problem was that we started out the trip already tired. We got about one or two hours of sleep on the nine hour red-eye flight to London. Arriving in Heathrow at 7:30 Saturday morning, during a 9 hour layover, we were quickly introduced to the world of foreign currency, automatic ticket machines, and public transportation. After a few failed attempts, we finally managed to purchase two day passes for the London tube system, and away we went. I'm sure we looked pretty goofy at how impressed with we were with the tube stations, and trains, and all of that. When we arrived in London, we were greeted with unseasonably warm, sunny weather. We were tricked into wearing fewer layers than we should have, because the clouds quickly moved in, covered the sun, and took away all the warmth. Even so, we had a great time in London. We saw most of the necessary sights, including Buckingham palace, Westminster Abby, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar square, etc. It was a wonderful practice run, because they still speak English in England, and if we got completely confused, we could at least talk to someone for help. We then caught our connecting flight to Barcelona.

{I'm getting tired, and will post more later!}

No comments:

Post a Comment