Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer So Far

Summer thus far has been hot and dry but fun! A typical day goes like this: Wake up around 7 or 7:30, feed ourselves, then go on a run. Jason takes a shower, packs his lunch, and heads to work around 10. Auri and I hang out around the house or run errands. She naps from around 11:30 to 1:30, so I have a bit of time to myself. Then, when Jason gets home around 5, we go do something fun, like go to the park or the pool. Then Auri is off to bed by 7:30, and then we play video games, watch tv, or read books together. A pretty sweet life.



Last week, we were down in Port Alto for the Big Browning Bayhouse Bash. We had a lot of fun in the old family bayhouse. Auri got to spend a lot of good time hanging out with her cousins. She and Charlotte seemed to hit it off, and Charlotte *loved* Jason. They played ninja and we built forts. Jason, Daniel, Joe, Dad, and I got to go floundering one night, and we caught three flounder and ate them the next day. I wasn't *so* excited about eating something that hides in the mud its whole life, but whatever. Also, another day we went to Kemah boardwalk. We rode the train, and Auri and I got to ride the carousel. You'd think she would love it, since she's into horses right now, but no. She cried and was trying to climb off the horse and into my arms the whole time. Joe, Daniel, Jason and I rode the roller coaster there. It was wooden. It was painful. I was sore the next day. But it was fun! I definitely prefer metal roller coasters though. Then we went and ate at the Aquarium. It has a huge aquarium as the main centerpiece in the dining room. Also, downstairs, there are more aquariums and a sting ray tank. We bought the sting ray food (raw shrimp), and we fed the sting rays. Actually, Jason did. I started to, and freaked out as its huge mouth started coming at me. I did pet it though!

Speaking of aquariums, since our goldfish died, I decided to freshen up our fish tank with fresh water, light, and fish. Auri and I went to Petco. yesterday and picked out some fish (mollies). We named them Farfalle, Penne, and Tortellini. Let me tell you. Tortellini is fat.



This morning, fat Tortellini was sitting on the bottom of the tank, seemingly gasping for air, lilting to one side, and pretty much looking like it was about to die. I thought "Oh great. I bought a dying fish. I can't watch this." So I turned the light off and ignored it. About an hour later, I came back to check on it, and there was a little black bulge coming out the fishes back end. Also, fat Tortellini wasn't so fat anymore, and there was little baby fish all around! Tortellini didn't have dropsy, or fish bloat, or anything of the other horrible diseases I was reading about this morning... she was pregnant!



 That's the good news. The bad news is that the other fish are following her around like she's pooping out gold bricks. I need to get one of those little nursery things... basically a plastic divider to protect the baby fish. For now, I found this thing you put in the shower drain to keep the hair from clogging the drain, and it has little holes. While I was taking pictures, Farfalle tried to eat a baby, and I couldn't watch anymore. So, best case scenario: I get some more free fish. If not, at least Tortellini isn't dead.



A funny story to leave with:

Yesterday, I was feeding Auri lunch while I was reading a book. She likes deli meat, so I take some turkey, rip it into chunks, and put it on her tray. She was happily eating her turkey and playing with her duplo blocks while I read, so it was a pretty good deal. When I would look up, she had eaten all the turkey on her tray, so I put her some more. She was eating *a lot* of it. Once she decided she was done, I took her out of her tray,  and was going to stack the blocks, when something in the block caught my eye. A little piece of turkey was stuffed down into the hole. Upon further inspection, there was some turkey stuffed into each hole in several of the blocks. I have a very industrious little stinker.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, there are fish called "mollies"? Wow, should I be impressed or just feel dumb?! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I don't know how you should feel, considering that when I went to feed them the next morning, they were all dead, floating at the top.

    Generally, though, they're pretty cool fish!

    ReplyDelete